North Korea has been a hot topic worldwide in recent weeks. Headlines are a plenty, Kim Jong Un is receiving visits from the likes of Dennis Rodman, and nuclear missiles are being prepared to level the ROK and Guam. So, being a short way north of the border, I thought I might go have a little peek.
Yes, that’s right! Myself and 2 friends took a little trip down to Dandong (A Chinese city on the border with North Korea) over the Qing Ming holiday…
Writer’s block is a b*tch! Dandong was nice, seeing Korea was amazing! Here are some photo’s.
Looking over the Yalu River
Chinese tourists in front of the Sino-Korean Friendship Bridge
A pier between the Sino-Korean Friendship Bridge and the Yalu Jiang Duan Qiao bridge
Yalu Jiang Duan Qiao bridge
The Ferris Wheel
The next group of photos were taken from within North Korea, on a boat trip for 50RMB. Yes that’s right! For only £5 you can pop over the border.
A North Korean dock
A North Korean souvenir salesman
A ferry between Korean islands
A Korean village
A Korean villager watches the tour boats
Myself, Dane and Alex in North Korean waters
Having grown up in relative urban non-existence (Wikipedia tells me my home until I was 11 had a population of less than 200), I’ve began to see that I am in fact a bit of a country boy!
Having moved from Plymouth (258,700 population) to Shenyang (8.1 million population), I’ve begun to miss some of the finer things in life. The colour green is a good example
Dane enjoys a stroll through the local flora
Ok, so it was a long shot expecting to move to an industrial city and be greeted with a “Chinese” Dartmoor (my old playground) just a 15 minute bike ride away. But I wasn’t expecting my mood to dip so much as a result! Don’t worry, this isn’t a whine and groan post, read the title…
In my extreme depression (slight downer) I took to looking through all the funny things my students have said in the months since my arrival. It’s way past time I shared these with you, so here they are!
DISCLAIMER: All quotes are the expressed opinions of the children involved. They by no means represent the thoughts of this bloggist. They’re just all so very rude! (None have been exaggerated!)
- “This is my dickhead!” (This is Dicks head) – Dick was not amused!
- “This is a truckbird.” (The bird is on the truck) – The critically acclaimed prequel to CatDog.
- “I see a whore.” (I see a horse) – Soon followed by…
- “Yes, you can pet the whore!” (…horse) – Brothels are different here!
- “Peter Piper picked a pale of dilly willy.” – Ok, so this was a longshot, the adults also struggled.
- “I can go to the loo.” (…zoo)
- “Mum is in the chicken.” (Mum is in the kitchen) – How his mum got in there, we’ll never know.
- “Fuck” (four) – A cornerstone of the English language.
- “This is my cock!” (This is my cup) – Thankfully just a slip of the tongue.
- “I like smoking.” – Mark is a little legend, and only 3 years old. I asked “What do you like?” again the next day, realising he shouldn’t say this and with a huge grin on his face, he said those exact same words.
- “The pig is in the bum.” (The pig is in the barn)
- “I am in the pub.” – Lessons in the pub… Now there’s an idea!
Don’t let his cuteness fool you…
I hope you’ve enjoyed my kids rude rantings as much as I have. I’m sure there will be more to come so keep visiting.